SEARCH THIS BLOG

Sunday, April 4, 2010

"Superman Returns"


Get swept away and witness the most anticipated return of the most beloved superhero of all-time! "Superman Returns," at the helm of director Bryan Singer ("X-Men" and "X-Men 2"), has garnered critical applause and wholesome reviews from early screenings. This rendition of "Man of Steel" may prove to have the most heart of all.

Dramatically speaking, it took my breath away. There are so many scenes that I really liked. The special effects are awe-inspiring. It's actually the first time that I truly believe a man CAN fly (and do all that stuff).

The original score is inspiring and nostalgic The cinematography is gorgeous. The sets, futuristic and gothic Daily Planet and ornate Fortress of Solitude, are stunning. The costume, I actually prefer the old one, minus the yellow "S" on the cape. I like the brighter red and wider "S" on the chest.

Brandon Routh is striking.  He's a fine Superman, although less as Clark Kent. His version of Clark is more reserved and quiet than endearing and clumsy. But the poise, presence, courageousness, charm and confidence of Superman is all there. And his glorious stance for truth, justice and everything that is good in the world. His gallant, soulful portrayal as the lone superhero is flawless and utterly convincing.

I liked how they pay homage to the phrase, “It’s a bird, it’s plane…” I felt that Reeve's spirit was there. And I must say one more thing. I don't know anything about George Reeves, but I've seen Christopher Reeve and Dean Cain in their portrayal's of this heroic icon. I don't remember Superman being "graceful." Watch how stately Routh's Superman soars, moves, turns and lands, it's all beautifully choreographed. Regal, royal-like, ethereal. I was awe- struck by the way he took considerable care in portraying this larger- than-life character.

There's a mention about how similar yet different Routh to Reeve is. And I agree. You notice he's a splitting image of Reeve, it's uncanny. His face, voice, mannerisms. I had never imagined that there would be another man looking like Reeve. But if you watch closely, you'll also notice that he brings in a different flair and makes this dignified hero his own. Storyline aside, he brings in that quiet, inner strength, sensitivity and tenderness; a "soft-spoken" persona. To me, Routh makes the movie.

Kate Bosworth performs Lois Lane just fine. Less mature (partly because of her youth), at times comes across as whiny than worldly and fragile than fearless, a little on the lukewarm side, but she isn't disappointing. Not too fond of the bland kid though; I thought he should have been cuter, more mischievous and energetic.

Not too keen about the asinine plot of Lex Luthor, and I do agree that Kevin Spacey should have been given more screentime, but the ones that he's in are menacingly good and hilarious. Parker Posey is a perfect sidekick and should have been give more to do.

Overall, it's an elegant blend of action, fantasy and romance. "Batman Begins" may be the better film, but Superman will always be my superhero. All I can say is... he is BACK!