SEARCH THIS BLOG

Saturday, March 6, 2010

"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"


With all the hypes surrounding "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," I went to see it last weekend. Yes, it was the opening weekend - you know that I am one of the crazed who's willing to stand in a long line or purchase the ticket hours in advance, when it comes to movies. I just *have to* be there when it's first playing. Millions of J.K. Rowlings' fans around the world had anticipated this transformation of the written words into moving pictures for a long time. Having no previous knowledge, I basically went to see what the fuss was all about and if it lived up to the hypes.

It did. And what a magical journey it was for me. I didn't know how often or how long my mouth was gaping open in fascination throughout the entire movie. I was totally swept away into a wondrous world of witchcraft and wizardry.

It reminded me of those times when I was a child and teenager - I was so absorbed in reading stories that I was surprised to look up and see the clock at 1 o'clock in the morning. I didn't realize that I had been clutching the book and sitting in pretty much the same position for 4 hours. I remember Mom used to scold me, for good reasons, that I wouldn't have known if there was a bomb exploded. :-P And, sometimes, the stories actually helped me study. When I was bored and tired of studying, I would alternate between reading a textbook and a storybook every 30 minutes or so. A peculiar way of studying, perhaps, but it helped me not giving up altogether.

Anyway, back to the movie. I thought it was a bit long; they could have cut it for 1/2 hour, but I realize how hard it must have been to condense a book that would probably run for 8 hours. Originally, the movie was running for 4 1/2 hours and it was edited down to 2 1/2 hours. So there were a couple of perplexing moments for those of us who didn't read the book; nonetheless, it has been dubbed as a brilliant adaptation from the book.

Fantasy at its best and pure escapism – “magific.” The lavish sets, landscapes, costumes, props, visual effects are absolutely astonishing. The venerated boarding school is truly a magnificent sight to behold - it's more like a grand gothic palace. The vivid intricacies of the splendid city alleys of witches and wizards that exists side by side with our modern society, the odd train platform where students have to penetrate a wall to get through, the bright express train that would take them to the mystical world, the expansive lush scenery, the elaborated school corridors and common dining hall, the delightful feast, the direction-changing staircases, the background pictures that are constantly moving like real people, the dangerous dungeon, the dark and misty forest, the unicorn tale, the flawless metamorphosis, the realistic invisibility cloak, the mysterious library manuscripts, the lessons on poisons and broomstick flying, the intense real-life chess game - everything. I was amazed with the concept itself (just for the fact there's a special school to educate witches and wizards), the rich design and ambiance, and every little detail. The exuberant, action-packed, soccer/hockey match with the players flying on broomsticks in the open-air field is an astounding treat.

The mixed of characters from the principle, the teachers, the guardians, the keepers and the students are distinctively engaging - the kind, the generous, the stern, the menacing, the devilish. The acting is top-notch. I couldn't think of a more perfect cast ensemble.

Particularly the three child actors and one child actress. Daniel Radcliffe IS Harry Potter - it's as if he was born to play that role - the shy, reserved, vulnerable orphan boy who discovers his true heritage and power as a wizard with the right doses of wonder, goodness, charm, wit and innocence. The boy who has lived under the tyrant rule of his uncle and aunt with a spoiled brat of a cousin, and never felt belonged until he found home in the school on the other side of the world. It is in the school where he finds two true friends, while different in personalities, but just as curious, determined and witty. It is also where he learned the importance of learning, friendships, self-belief, trust, fortitude, resolve and sacrifice. There are a few heartrending moments where he looks into the hidden mirror and see the reflection of his most desire - the presence of his parents, who were killed when he was a baby.

It is a classic good versus evil parable, where good, of course, triumphs over evil. I see the beloved character in an enchanting world that has captured the hearts of so many.

DVD: http://tinyurl.com/ykhykcs