SEARCH THIS BLOG

Saturday, March 6, 2010

"Blow"


I didn't expect much when I walked into the theater to see 'Blow.' I even expected to be bored, as I was with ‘Traffic,’ the supremely acclaimed film with a similar premise that won some of the Oscars.
I was wrong. Dead wrong. Alright, I maybe all fun with my choices in movies :::cough cough:::, but essentially, I'm an earnest person and I like watching solemn movies. Movies that draw me in with emotions and make me feel and relate to, movies that cause me to think and prompt me to analyze and be critical.

'Blow' is such movie. Johnny Depp infused the role with depth, heart, innocence, gentleness, humanity, sensitivity and vulnerability. It's even more poignant and heartbreaking because it's based on a true story.

"Based on the true story of George Jung, a man from the blue-collar suburbs who became a 35 billion-dollar a-year conduit to Colombian drug cartels, and how powder cocaine turned into America’s biggest drug problem. Along the way, Jung (Johnny Depp) meets, marries, and has a daughter with a beautiful, self-indulgent party-girl (Penelope Cruz), becomes mega-rich, and watches his life spiral out of control. Blow outlines with probing detail the lifestyle of a cocaine smuggler and, ultimately, the tragedy of blowing all of your dreams for greed."

It's much deeper than this synopsis. It tells a story of an evolving life; childhood, teenage life, adulthood and old age. It's a real story about childhood scars, ambitions, reality, choices, life, family and relationships. Here is this person - one of the biggest drug lords in history - and I heartily sympathize and cried out for him.

It reminds me of the time when I took an elective class by accident in social delinquencies several summers ago. The class with a gem of a book that taught me so much in three short weeks about self-worth, understanding, acceptance and respect. It was an eye-opener about a second chance in life. A better life.

It was also a very controversial course about people who were outcasts, such as juvenile delinquents, criminals, drug addicts, racial minorities (blacks, etc.), gays & lesbians, cross dressers. At the end, we personally met, shook hands and talked with three guests - first was a past armed robber who had been imprisoned for 17 years and done with his sentence, second was a former prostitute and third was an ex-cocaine addict. I found it surprising that I felt nothing but compassion and understanding towards them. They were SO human and achingly real. One of the main reasons why I absolutely can't stand people who are judgmental or bigot. It was undoubtedly the MOST valuable course I had ever taken in all my school years.

I highly recommend 'Blow' for serious viewing. 'Blow' definitely ranks as one of the best this year.

DVD: http://tinyurl.com/ydpu5m3