SEARCH THIS BLOG

Saturday, March 27, 2010

"Bruce Almighty:

Let get this straight first; I don't watch slapsticks (there's a difference between slapsticks and comedies), just like I don't watch slasher horror (there's a difference between horror and thriller).  

So when there was a seemingly slapsticks, typical Jim Carrey (exceptional comedian, no doubt) movie came out, I didn't intend to see it. Until I heard about the premise.

What would you do if you were God? What would you do if God gave you all the almighty power? Would you do a better job as God? Could you miraculously wipe out all the world's problems by answering "yes" to all the prayers? Could you just hand over miracles? No? Why not? Oooh... imagine the possibilities!

Color me intrigued. I have a penchant to be intrigued by movies about life. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. Sure, the slapsticks were there, but the movie was MUCH better than I thought. 

Down-on-his luck human-interest reporter vying for the coveted anchor position, Bruce, who blames everything on everyone else and God. "Why are you doing this to me, God?"

So, one day, God decides that he's had enough. He pages Bruce and asks him to meet with him somewhere down at a warehouse on level 7. Don't let the dingy appearance fools you. Inside this sterile, all-white room, he is greeted by a Janitor (Morgan Freeman, whose versatile performances I loved from "Double Jeopardy," "High Crimes" and "Sum of All Fears") who keeps moping the floor (could you see the metaphor?). Later Bruce finds out that there is a cabinet just for him, containing all information about his life in an astounding volume. Every word, thought, action are in that cabinet. The Janitor decides to temporarily give Bruce a chance to be God while He is taking a vacation and see if he could do a better job. Bruce seems to think so.

What ensues are a series of divine hilarities.

The entire theater was roaring with laughter almost continuously. There was one hysterically funny scene *alone* that I thought was worth of the price of the ticket. I laughed SO hard till I cried. My stomach hurt and I had to *literally* wipe the tears from my eyes. If I were at home, I would have probably been rolling on the floor. The rest of the antics were also top-notch. If you've seen the movie, you'll know which scene that I was referring to.

But it's not only the laughter. This movie is bright, witty *and* meaningful. It is very touching and carries a real message at the same time. You'd be hard pressed to find the last element in slapsticks. It also displays heavenly hilarious special effects. It lightheartedly takes on a serious, controversial topic in a non-offensive way.  

I can easily articulate the "lessons learned" from the movie, but I won't spoil it for you. It has something to do with free will, belief, choice, responsibility, accountability, empowerment, forgiveness and redemption.

Fellow movie-goers tend to agree. This movie has become the highest grossing comedy ever in history. Go see it! You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll take away something from it.

DVD: http://tinyurl.com/yhhrmsb

Posted via email from The MovieMaven